This case was among a series presented by Miranda Richardson FBDO, Assistant Director of Professional Examinations for the Association of British Dispensing Opticians, for peer discussion at the second Specsavers Dispensing Conference (SDC2) in August 2018.
- Bifocals required
- VA: RE & LE: 6/60 N24
Looking at the above prescription, consider the following discussion points with your dispensing team:
- How would you describe this patient? Review the VA.
- What is the possible pathological reason for this prescription?
- Why is such a high reading addition required?
- What are the practicalities and potential disadvantages of dispensing this high reading addition?
- How would you manage the patient’s expectations? Discuss the use of terminology to explain the condition to the patient and how to manage their expectations in terms of what they will actually be able to see.